Romania – What you need to know!
Game two of RWC 2015 looms this weekend for the history chasing Irish team and this time it’s our Eastern European cousins Romania who stand in the way. Ireland have a 100% record against Romania over the years, so can they continue that form in London on Sunday? We take a quick look at what you need to know about the men from the Carpathians.
- Ireland and Romania have clashed on eight occasions – Nov 1st 1986 was the first meeting of the countries when Ireland ran out easy 60-0 winners in Dublin.
- Ireland have beaten Romania three times in World Cups – in (in 1999, 44-14, 2003 45-17 & 1990 5-4 on penalties after a 0-0 draw!)
- Romania are the 17th ranked team in the latest IRB world rankings (Sept 21st 2015) and have never been outside the top 20 since the rankings were introduced in 2003.
- Although Romania are not viewed as one of the games superpowers, they did have a strong record against France back in the 1960’s and 70’s. They won six and lost two of the 22 games they played in that period.
- Romania beat the Grand Slam winning French side in 1977 and beat Wales, Scotland and France between 1982 and 1984. However after the Revolution in the country in 1989 rugby never really recovered.
- After the opening round of games Romania were the third lowest in terms of carries, carries over the gain line, number of tackles made and had the fourth lowest number of off-loads with four. (Ireland had five).
Get behind the Irish team at the 2015 RWC with Elverys Intersport! http://bit.ly/1HrD4iG